April 2015 RDO Community Newsletter
Previous newsletters, Sign up to receive the newsletter on the mailing list page.
Thanks, as always, for being part of the RDO community!
- Quick Start - http://rdoproject.org/quickstart
- Mailing Lists - http://rdoproject.org/community/mailing-lists/
- RDO packages - https://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/openstack/openstack-juno/
- RDO blog - http://rdoproject.org/blog
- Q&A - http://ask.openstack.org/
Happy Birthday RDO!
Just two years ago we started this effort to provide easy-to-install OpenStack for users of RHEL, CentOS, and Fedora.
Since then, we've gone from being entirely internally developed at Red Hat to having community participation from around the world. And we've gone from zero to being at the heart of one of the largest OpenStack deployments on the planet, at CERN, where they just recently crossed the 100,000 core mark on their deployment - https://twitter.com/noggin143/status/578950445835657216
We're so glad you're along for the ride, and we're really excited about the coming year, as our relationship with the CentOS community continues to strengthen, and we get broader community participation in the project.
OpenStack Summit is a little over a month away, and now that the schedule is published - https://www.openstack.org/summit/vancouver-2015/schedule/ - you can start planning your week.
Here's a few sessions that we recommend for RDO enthusiasts:
- OpenStack Horizon deep dive and customization, with Matthias Runge - http://sched.co/2qiP
- Lessons learned on upgrades: the importance of HA and automation, with Emilien Macchi and Frederic Lepied - http://sched.co/2rGf
- How Neutron builds network topology for your multi-tier application, with Sadique Puthen - http://sched.co/2qcl
- The Road to Enterprise-Ready OpenStack Storage as Service, with Flavio Percoco and Sean Cohen - http://sched.co/2qby
- OpenStack Compute 101, with Stephen Gordon - http://sched.co/2qeM
- OpenDaylight and OpenStack, with Dave Neary - http://sched.co/2qc8
But there's so much more excellent content scheduled, that it's going to be really hard to decide. So be sure you spend some quality time with the schedule ahead of time, because on-site it's going to be overwhelming.
Register today, if you haven't already, at http://tm3.org/summit-register , and be sure to drop by the RDO booth for your event-exclusive RDO tshirt, and our newly updated RDO OpenStack cheatsheet bookmarks. See you there!
The RDO CentOS packaging effort continues to move along, and we'd love to have you come join us if you're looking for a way to get more involved in RDO. We meet each Wednesday at 15:00 UTC on the #RDO channel on the Freenode IRC network to discuss the RDO packaging effort. And we meet with the larger CentOS Cloud SIG group each Thursday at 15:00 UTC on the #centos-devel channel, to discuss the work that spans multiple open source cloud platforms, including CloudStack, Eucalyptus, and OpenNebula.
Every day, there's at least OpenStack meetup somewhere in the world. Each week I post the upcoming meetings on the rdo-list mailing list and on the RDO website at http://rdoproject.org/Events
If you're speaking at an OpenStack meetup, please let us know so that we can help publicize it. If you attend one, please blog about it, so that the rest of us can benefit a little too.
Some upcoming meetups that you might want to check out include:
- Thursday, April 02 OpenStack Seattle Meetup: Getting the Most out of Cinder, Seattle, WA, US - http://www.meetup.com/OpenStack-Seattle/events/219193094/
- Tuesday, April 07 April Sydney Meetup, Melbourne, AU - http://www.meetup.com/Australian-OpenStack-User-Group/events/220202269/
- Thursday, April 09 OpenStack Howto part 1 - Install and Run, Prague, CZ - http://www.meetup.com/OpenStack-Czech-User-Group-Meetup/events/221143227/
- Thursday, April 09 Are you getting the most out of Cinder block storage in OpenStack?, Atlanta, GA, US - http://www.meetup.com/openstack-atlanta/events/219694781/
- Monday, April 13 OpenStack and NFV, San Francisco, CA, US - http://www.meetup.com/San-Francisco-Silicon-Valley-OpenStack-Meetup/events/221142044/
Keep in touch
There's lots of ways to stay in in touch with what's going in in the RDO community. The best ways are …
- Follow us on Twitter - http://twitter.com/rdocommunity
- Google+ - http://tm3.org/rdogplus
- Facebook - http://facebook.com/rdocommunity
- rdo-list mailing list - http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/rdo-list
- This newsletter - http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/rdo-newsletter
- IRC - #rdo on Freenode.irc.net
- Puppet module development - #rdo-puppet
Finally, remember that the OpenStack User Survey is always open, so every time you deploy a new OpenStack cloud, go update your records at https://www.openstack.org/user-survey/ so that, when Vancouver rolls around, we have a clearer picture of the OpenStack usage out in the wild.
Thanks again for being part of the RDO community!